The National Methane Hydrates R&D Program
Methane Hydrate Reference Shelf
The Methane Hydrate Reference Shelf was created to provide a repository for information collected from projects funded as part of the National Methane Hydrate R&D Program. As output from the projects is received, it will be reviewed and then placed onto the reference shelf to be available to other methane hydrate researchers.
DOE/NETL Projects : These pages contain detailed information on methane hydrate projects funded
through the National Energy Technology Laboratory.
Newsletter | Bibliography | Software | Reports | Program Publications | Photo Gallery
Fire in the Ice: A quarterly publication highlighting the National Methane Hydrate R&D Program
"Project Reports Bibliography"[PDF]: The bibliography lists publications resulting from DOE/NETL-sponsored
methane hydrate R&D projects.
Graduate Fellowship Program:
Methane Hydrate Graduate Fellowship Program - NETL has launched an academic research fellowship
program to support qualified postgraduate students in their pursuit of advanced degrees related to
methane hydrate science.
About Methane Hydrates:
The Methane Hydrates Primer provides background and general information about the history of hydrate R&D, the science of methane hydrates, their occurrences, and R&D related issues.
The "Photo Gallery" provides pictures from six research locations, including the Alaska North Slope, the Gulf of Mexico, Blake Ridge, and the Mallik well in the MacKenzie Delta.
Visit the Methane Hydrates projects webpages to see a complete listing of projects. The project pages contain complete descriptions of each project along with a more comprehensive listing of reports and publications.
- May, 2012: Final Project Report NT42960 Detedtion and Production of Methane Hydrate [PDF-12.3MB]
- April, 2012: Final Project Report DE-NT0006558 Integrating Natural Gas Hydrates in the Global Carbon Cycle [PDF-16.8MB]
- April, 2012: Final Project Report DE-FC26-06NT43067 Mechanisms Leading to Co-existence of Gas and Hydrate in Ocean Sediments [PDF-47.4MB]
- March, 2012: Final Project Report DE-NT0005668 Gas Hydrate Characterization in the Gulf of Mexico Using Marine EM Methods [PDF-29.7MB]
- March, 2012: Final Project Report DE-NT0005666 Characterization of Methane Degradation and Methane-Degrading Microbes in Alaska Coastal Waters [PDF-479KB]
- February, 2012: Final Project Report DE-NT0005638 Remote Sensing and Sea-Truth Measurements of Methane Flux to the Atmosphere [PDF-5.65MB]
- August, 2011: Semi-Annual Report DE-NT0006553 Gas Hydrate Productiion Test [PDF-25.2MB]
- June, 2011: Final Technical Report DE-FC26-06NT42961 Seismic Gas Hydrate Quantification by Cumulative Attributes (CATTs) [PDF-7.91MB]
- May, 2011: Summary Report of DTAGS Deployment DE-AI26-06NT42878 Design and Deployment of a Deep-water Seafloor Sound Source [PDF-967KB]
- May, 2011: Summary of Phase II Research DE-NT0005668 Gas Hydrate Characterization in the Gulf of Mexico Using Marine EM Methods [PDF-7.66MB]
- February, 2011: Energy Resource Potential of Methane Hydrate [PDF-1.98MB]
- April, 2010: Final Scientific Technical Report DE-FC26-06NT42962 Drilling and Production Testing the Methane Hydrate Resource Potential Associated with the Barrow Gas Fields [PDF-3.80MB]
- July, 2009: Testimony on Gas Hydrate R&D Presented to Congressional Subcommittee
Dr. Ray Boswell - NETL, Dr. Timothy Collett - USGS, and Steve Hancock - RPS Energy.
- April, 2009: Final Project Report DE-FC26-02NT41628 Support of Gulf of Mexico Hydrate Research Consortium: Activities to Support Establishment of a Sea Floor Monitoring Station Project [PDF-9.63MB]
- January, 2009: Project Report DE-NT0005668 Preliminary Cruise Report from the October, 2008 GOM cruise. [PDF-14.7MB]
- The Interagency Roadmap for Methane Hydrate R&D (PDF), which outlines a plan of action to fully address the goals of the Methane Hydrate Research and Development Act, is now available.
- Report to Congress on Methane Hydrates Research [PDF-external site] This report from the Federal Methane Hydrate Advisory Committee provides an assessment of the Methane Hydrate Research Program as well as an assessment of the 5-year research plan of the Department of Energy.
- October, 2008: Final Project Report DE-FC26-06NT42962 Phase 1 Final Technical Report - Characterization and Quantification of the Methane Hydrate Resource Potential Associated with the Barrow Gas Fields [PDF-1.89MB]
- June, 2008 Final Project Report DE-FC26-05NT42663 Seismic-Scale Rock Physics of Methane Hydrate [PDF-2.50MB]
- April, 2008 Final Project Report DE-FC26-05NT42665 Gas Hydrate Instability in the Southeastern Bering Sea [PDF-1.32MB]
- March, 2008 Alaska Gas Hydrate Research and Stratigraphic Test Preliminary Results [PDF-1.84MB] - Robert B. Hunter, Scott A. Digert, Ray Boswell, and Timothy S. Collett
- February, 2008 SPE Article - Project FWP-G308 "Toward Production From Gas Hydrates: Current Status, Assessment of Resources, and Simulation-Based Evaluation of Technology and Potential" [PDF-4.0MB] - presented at the Unconventional Reservoirs Conference in February, 2008
- February, 2008 Well Log Data from the BP-DOE-US "Mount Elbert" Test -
Digital well log data acquired at the February 2007 gas hydrates test well at Milne Point, Alaska are now available. Data include Gamma ray, neutron porosity, density porosity, three-dimensional high resolution resistivity, acoustics including compressional- and shear-wave data, and nuclear magnetic resonance.
- October, 2007 Final Phase 1 Project Report DE-AI26-06NT42938: Gas Hydrate Research Database and Web Dissemination Channel (Year 1) [PDF-921KB]
- October, 2007 American Journal of Science Article DE-FC26-06NT42960: Generalization of Gas Hydrate Distribution and Saturation in Marine Sediments by Scaling of Thermodynamic and Transpot Processes" [PDF-1.66MB]
- August, 2007 Final Project Report DE-AI26-06NT42878Geochemical characterization of concentrated gas hydrate deposits on the Hikurangi Margin, New Zealand [PDF-3.50MB]
- July, 2007 Topical Report DE-FC26-06NT42667: Combining Multicomponent Seismic Attributes, New Rock Physics Models, and In Situ Data to Estimate Gas-Hydrate Concentrations in Deep-Water, Near-Seafloor Strata of the Gulf of Mexico [PDF-535KB] - Task 8 (Select Rock Physics Model)
- July, 2007 Topical Report DE-FC26-05NT42664/ESD05-036: Approach to Forming Hydrate Bearing Samples in Fine Grained Material [PDF-94KB]
- June, 2007 Topical Project Report FEAB111: Experimental Formation of Massive Hydrate Deposits From Accumulation of CH4 Gas Bubbles Within Synthetic and Natural Sediments [PDF-1.06MB]
- June, 2007 Final Project Report DE-FC26-02NT41327: Petrophysical Characterization and Reservoir Simulator for
Methane Gas Production from Gulf of Mexico Hydrates [PDF-9.04MB]
- May, 2007 Offshore Technologies Conference paper - project DE-FC26-05NT42664 / ESD05-036: Numerical Studies of Geomechanical Stability of Hydrate-Bearing Sediments [PDF-2.42MB]
- May, 2007 Phase 1A Final Technical Report DE-FC26-06NT42962: Characterization and Qualification of the Methane Hydrate Resource Potential Associated with the Barrow Gas Fields [PDF-1.03MB]
- May, 2007 Appendix to Phase 1A Final Technical Report DE-FC26-06NT42962: Gas Hydrate Stability Model for Barrow Gas Fields [PDF-614KB]
- March, 2007 Gulf of Mexico Gas Hydrates Joint Industry Project (JIP) DE-FC26-01NT41330: Well Logs from the 2005 GOM Cruise [external site - Chevron JIP]
- February, 2007 DE-FC26-05NT42664: Phase 1 Topical Report [PDF-5.72MB] Geomechanical Performance of Hydrate-Bearing Sediments in Offshore Environments
- February, 2007 Final Report DE-AF26-06NT00440: Development of a Gas Hydrate Markup Language [PDF-1.22MB] by E.Dendy Sloan, Center for Hydrate Research, Colorado School of Mines
- February, 2007 Phase I & II Final Reports DE-FC26-01NT41329: In-Situ Sampling and Characterization of Naturally Occurring Marine Methane Hydrate Using the D/V JOIDES Resolution
Phase I Final Report [PDF-5.45MB]
Phase II Final Report [PDF-1.82MB]
- January, 2007 Status Presentations DE-FC26-05NT42664: Geomechanical Performance of Hydrate-Bearing Sediments in Offshore Environments
- August, 2006 Project Report FWP-G308: TOUGH+/HYDRATE - Hydrate Reservoir Simulator Development Gas Production Potential of Disperse Low-Saturation Hydrate Accumulations in Oceanic Sediments [PDF-1.05MB]
- Project Reports from the The Gulf of Mexico Gas Hydrate Joint Industry Project DE-FC26-01NT41330:
- June, 2006 Final Project Report DE-FC26-02NT41328: Controls on Gas Hydrate Formation and Dissociation, Gulf of Mexico: In Situ Field Study with Laboratory Characterizations of Exposed and Buried Gas Hydrates [PDF-1.2MB]
- June, 2006 Project Final Report DE-AT26-97FT34343: Gathering, Processing and Evaluating Seismic and Physical Data on Gas Hydrates in the Gulf of Mexico [PDF-248KB]
- July 2005 Project Factsheet FWP-G308: NETL- Directing the Development of World-Class Gas Hydrate Reservoir Simulators [PDF-1605KB]
- June 2005 Topical Report DE-FC-01NT41332: Drilling and Data Acquisition and Planning [PDF-8092KB]
- Resource Characterization of Natural Gas Hydrate, Kuparak River Area, North Slope of Alaska
- April, 2005 Final Project Report DE-AT26-97FT34342: Task No. 6 - Preparation, Drilling, and Testing of a Gas Hydrate Well [PDF-2.71MB]
- March, 2005 Final Project Report DE-FC26-01NT41331: Methane Hydrate Production from Alaskan Permafrost [PDF- 14765KB]
- Topical Reports DE-FC26-01NT41331: Methane Hydrate Production from Alaskan Permafrost
- June 2003 Project Progress Report(Jan. 1 - March 31, 2003) DE-FC26-01NT41331 : Methane Hydrate Production from Alaskan Permafrost [PDF: 6.86MB]
- May 2003 Project Report : Hydrate Drill - Development, testing, and monitoring [PDF: 1.21MB]
Visit the Photo Gallery
for pictures of the microdrill
- July 2002 Project Report : X-ray Scanner for ODP Leg204 [PDF: 1446KB]
Methane Hydrate R&D Program Publications
- Methane Hydrates R&D Program - Program Fact Sheet [PDF]
- September, 2009: U.S.DOE FY2008 Methane Hydrate Program Report to Congress [PDF-external site]
- 2007: Report to Congress on Methane Hydrates Research [PDF-external site- FE].
This report from the Federal Methane Hydrate Advisory Committee provides an assessment of the Methane Hydrate Research Program as well as an assessment of the 5-year research plan of the Department of Energy.
- 2007: Interagency Coordination on Methane Hydrate R&D [PDF-8.24MB]
Interagency Roadmap for Methane Hydrate R&D [PDF]
Amendment to the Methane Hydrate Research and Development Act of 2000
- 2003: 2003 DOE/JIP Hydrate Conference :
On September 29 - October 1, 2003, DOE and ChevronTexaco jointly
sponsored a Methane Hydrate Conference and JIP workshop for the
exchange of information on on-going methane hydrate projects, including
the Gulf of Mexico Joint Industry Project.
- 2003: 2003 Report of the
Methane Hydrate Advisory Committee [PDF-1226KB]:
Report to Congress on methane hydrate issues and opportunities, including
an assessment of the uncertainty of the impact of methane hydrates on
global climate change.
2003: Project Fact Sheet
New Drilling Platform Used for Alaska's First Dedicated
Methane Hydrates Interagency R&D Conference: Proceedings from
the Methane Hydrates Interagency R&D Conference held March 20-22, 2002
in Washington, D.C.
- 2001: A collaborative
approach to methane hydrate R&D activities [PDF-250KB] :
This article describes the background, history, ongoing activities, and
program goals for a national methane hydrate R&D effort coordinated by
2000: Methane Hydrate Research and Development Act of 2000.
Gulf of Mexico Hydrates R&D Planning Workshop: Proceedings from
the Gulf of Mexico Methane Hydrates R&D Planning Workshop held August
9-10, 2000 in Houston, TX.
- 1999: "The National
Methane Hydrate Multi-year R&D Program Plan" [PDF-144KB] :
DOE/FE plan to develop a science-based program with industry and other
Government agencies to understand the potential of methane hydrates
- 1998: "Strategy
for Methane Hydrate Research and Development" [PDF-642KB] :
This document sets the foundation for a 10-year national program for the
production of methane from hydrates
More on Methane Hydrates