CCS and Power Systems
Advanced Energy Systems - Solid Oxide Fuel Cells
Solid Oxide Fuel Cell Cathode Enhancement Through a Vacuum-assisted Infiltration
Performer: Materials & Systems Research Inc.
Project No: SC0006374
Project Scope and Technology Readiness Level
The goal of this project is to develop a vacuum infiltration process for adding catalysts to SOFC cathodes. Current Phase II project objectives are as follows:
- Perfect the VPIT process via:
- optimization of catalyst loading level,
- construction of catalyst optimal structure,
- implementation of degradation mitigation strategies, and
- refinement of the single-step infiltration apparatus for large cell application.
- Characterize performance enhancement resulting from infiltration treatment.
- Conduct techno-economic evaluation of the single-step VPIT process.
The Technology Readiness Level (TRL) assessment identifies the current state of readiness of the key technologies being developed under the DOE’s Clean Coal Research Program. In FY 12, this project was not assessed.
The TRL assessment process and its results including definition and description of the levels may be found in the "2012 Technology Readiness Assessment-Analysis of Active Research Portfolio".