CCS and Power Systems
Advanced Energy Systems - Hydrogen Turbines
Recovery Act: Advanced Hydrogen Turbine Development
Performer: Siemens Energy Inc.
Project No: FC26-05NT42644
- Siemens Energy opened a manufacturing facility in Charlottesville, Virginia for the innovative commercial production of airfoil ceramic cores for gas turbine blades and vanes using the TOMOSM technology, initially developed by Mikro Systems, Inc. and further developed under the Hydrogen Turbine Program.
- Optimized combustion system components were hot fired and results will be fed forward for additional full combustion system testing.
- Modular vanes, advanced airfoil core technology, advanced sensors and high temperature TBCs were all successfully tested in a full scale engine test.
- Updated compressor and turbine flow paths were down selected.
- Achieving a reduction of approximately 40 percent in flaking or chipping of material (known as spallation) from coated surfaces with new modified bond coats and substrates.
- Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) system demonstrated over 95 percent NOX reduction efficiency. Over 3,000 hours testing in simulated IGCC exhaust and greater than 15,000 hours of continuous operation in an NGCC plant exhaust.
- Technology Readiness Level (TRL) 6 achieved on the rotor disk optimization tool.
- Significant progress was made in manufacturing capabilities of the turbine blade four and turbine blade one with advanced cooling technologies.
- Multiple rig test campaigns were run across several components and focus areas including: compressor aerodynamics and airfoil design, turbine aerodynamics and airfoil design, sealing and heat transfer.