Search All NETL Oil and Gas Documents or Search an Archive of Selected Documents
Detailed project descriptions, including links to project related publications and publically available deliverables, are provided for many of the Oil and Natural Gas Technology program's current and completed projects.
Environmental Impacts of Unconventional Natural Gas Development and Production
The recent growth in unconventional natural gas production has also produced a profusion of publications on the exploration, development, production, infrastructure, economics, uses, and environmental impacts of these resources. These publications build on a strong body of existing literature that traces the evolution of these resources from their conceptual stages in the 1970s to the technology advancements that started the shale gas boom in the early 2000s. Between 2009 and 2013, government, industry, academic, scientific, non-governmental, and citizen organizations have added a substantial body of literature on the environmental impacts that could result from the continuing development of shale gas, tight gas sands, and coalbed methane resources.
This report summarizes the current state of published descriptions of the potential environmental impacts of unconventional natural gas upstream operations within the Lower 48 United States. As a survey, this report is by no means exhaustive. The goal of this report is to ensure that the predominant concerns about unconventional natural gas development, as covered by current literature, are identified and described. The sources cited are publicly available documents. Multiple publications on similar topics are compared and contrasted based only on their technical and methodological distinctions. No opinion or endorsement of these works is intended or implied.
Each chapter contains a separate section of references so that each type of impact can be explored further. The types of environmental impacts that are documented in the literature are described in the chapters of the report.
- Fire in the Ice: A publication highlighting the National Methane Hydrate R&D Program
- E & P Focus: A publication highlighting NETL's oil and natural gas research
Program Fact Sheets:
- EDX - Share and Share Alike - November 26, 2013
- Energy Department Expands Research into Methane Hydrates, a Vast, Untapped Potential Energy Resource of the U.S. - November 20, 2013
- Wellbore Cement: Research That Begins Where the Sidewalk Ends - October 29, 2013
- Project Aids Development of Legacy Oilfield on Alaska's North Slope - October 21, 2013
- Expedition Provides New Insight on Gas Hydrates in Gulf of Mexico - May 14, 2013
- Interagency Collaboration to Address Environmental Impacts of Shale Gas Drilling -April 23, 2013
- Hydraulic Fracturing Data Collection Tools Improve Environmental Reporting, Monitoring, Protection - April 18, 2013
- DOE Accord Seeks Accelerated Development of Alaska's Vast Unconventional Energy Resources - April 17, 2013
- Innovative Technology Improves Upgrading Process for Unconventional Oil Resources - April 09, 2013
- Data from Innovative Methane Hydrate Test on Alaska's North Slope Now Available on NETL Website - March 11, 2013
- Alaskan Ice Road Water Supplies Augmented by Snow Barriers - March 06, 2013
E&P and Methane Hydrate Bibliographies:
Oil and Natural Gas R&D Program Bibliography [PDF] The bibliography contains a listing of DOE/NETL-sponsored student researchers as well as reports and presentations resulting from Oil and Natural Gas R&D Program research projects.
Methane Hydrates Project Reports Bibliography[PDF] The bibliography lists publications resulting from DOE/NETL-sponsored methane hydrate R&D Program research projects.
Oil & Natural Gas Project Reports: //Archive 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008
Additional reports are available by using the searches provided at the top of this page.
- July, 2014 Final Project Report 08123-16 Development Strategies for Maximizing East Texas Oil Field Production [PDF-5.40MB]
- June, 2014 Final Project Report DE-FC26-06NT43029 Carbon-Dioxide-Enhanced Oil Production from the Citronelle Oil Field in the Rodessa Formation, South Alabama [PDF-17.6MB]
- May, 2014 Final Project Report FE0005958 Improved Mobility Control in CO2 Enhanced Recovery Using SPI Gels [PDF-6.46MB]
- May, 2014 Final Project Report 07123-04 Contacting New Reservoir in Hunton Dolomite in Nearly Depleted Unger Field, Marion County, Kansas Using a Lateral with Azimuthal Gamma Ray Sensor and Drillpipe Conveyed Wireline Logs [PDF-8.11MB]
- April, 2014 Final Project Report 10122-07 NORM Mitigation and Clean Water Recovery from Marcellus Frac Water [PDF-5.37MB]
- March, 2014 Final Project Report 08122-53 Multiazimuth Seismic Diffraction Imaging for Fracture Characterization in Low-Permeability Gas Formations [PDF-4.72MB]
- March, 2014 Final Project Report 09123-11 Treatment and Beneficial Reuse of Produced Waters Using A Novel Pervaporation-Based Irrigation Technology [PDF-2.52MB]
- March, 2014 Final Project Report 09123-09 Enhanced Oil Recovery from the Bakken Shale using Surfactant Imbibition Coupled with Gravity Drainage [PDF-4.85MB]
- February, 2014 Final Project Report 09122-12 Integrated Experimental and Modeling Approaches to Studying the Fracture-Matrix Interaction in Gas Recovery from Barnett Shale [PDF-8.96MB]
- January, 2014 Final Project Report 07121-2001 Geophysical Modeling for Studying Acquisition and Processing Methods in the Deepwater Gulf of Mexico [PDF-10.5MB]
- January, 2014 Final Project Report 07123-01 Low Impact Testing of Oil Field Access Roads [PDF-2.27MB]
- January, 2014 Final Project Report DE-FE0010496 Application of Crunch-Flow Routines to Constrain Present and Past Carbon Fluxes at Gas-Hydrate Bearing Sites [PDF-10.5MB]
- December, 2013 Final Project Report 08NT0005643 Geomechanical Study of Bakken Formation for Improved Oil Recovery [PDF-129MB]
- December, 2013 Topical Report DE-FE0010195 Marine Methane Hydrate Field Science Plan [PDF-14.4MB] - Consortium for Ocean Leadership
- October, 2013 Final Project Report DE-FE0000804 Integration Of Water Resource Models With Fayetteville Shale Decision and Support Systems [PDF-10.8MB]
- October, 2013 Final Project Report 10121-4407-01 Deepwater Direct Offloading System [PDF-5.03MB]
- September, 2013 Final Project Report DE-NT0005684 Using Artificial Barriers to Augment Fresh Water Supplies in Shallow Arctic Lakes [PDF-2.37MB]
- November, 2013 Final Project Report 08121-2901-01 MSDC Electrical System for Deepwater Subsea Process [PDF-18.5MB]
- August, 2013 Final Project Report DE-NT0005683 Innovative Water Management Technology to Reduce Environmental Impacts of Produced Water [PDF-5.61MB]
- August, 2013 Final Project Report 10121-4204-01 Corrosion and Scale at Extreme Temperature and Pressure [PDF-9.97MB]
- August, 2013 Final Project Report 09123-14 GREEN OIL™ CO2-Enhanced Oil Recovery for America’s Small Oil Producers [PDF-6.90MB]
- July, 2013 Final Project Report 09121-3300-08 Sensors and Processing for Pipe, Riser, Structure, and Equipment Inspection to Provide Detailed Measurements, Corrosion Detection, Leak Detection, and/or Detection of Heat Plumes from Degraded Pipeline Insulation [PDF-2.54MB]
- July, 2013 Final Project Report DE-NT0005683 North Slope Decision Support for Water Resource Planning and Management [PDF-664KB]
- July, 2013 Final Project Report ESD07-014 (LBNL) and 08FE-003 (LANL) Interrelation of Global Climate and the Response of Oceanic Hydrate Accumulations [PDF-271KB]
- June, 2013 Final Project Report DE-NT0006553 Gas Hydrate Production Trial Using CO2 / CH4 Exchange [PDF-44.1MB]
- June, 2013 Final Project Report 07122-41 Improved Reservoir Access Through Refracture Treatments in Tight Gas Sands and Gas Shale [PDF-10.2MB]
- June, 2013 Final Project Report - Phase 1 10121-4302-01 Ultra-High Conductivity Umbilicals: Polymer Nanotube Umbilicals [PDF-5.48MB]
- June, 2013 Final Project Report 08122-15 Novel Gas Isotope Interpretation Tools to Optimize Gas Shale Production [PDF-2.75MB]
- March, 2011: A Comparative Study of the Mississippian Barnett Shale, Fort Worth Basin, and Devonian Marcellus Shale, Appalachian Basin [PDF-14MB]