Search All NETL Oil and Gas Documents or Search an Archive of Selected Documents
2014 Annual IOGCC Conference
Detailed project descriptions, including links to project related publications and publically available deliverables, are provided for many of the Oil and Natural Gas Technology program's current and completed projects.
Frozen Heat: A Global Outlook on Methane Hydrates
The United Nations Environmental Programme released this new, two-volume report in March 2015. Frozen Heat: A Global Outlook on Methane Hydrate details the science and history of gas hydrates, evaluates the current state of gas hydrate research, and explores the potential impact of this untapped natural gas source on the future global energy mix. An executive summary of report is also available. Researchers from the National Energy Technology Laboratory were part of an international team that contributed to the report.
- Volume 1—The role of gas hydrates in natural systems.
- Volume 2—The potential impacts of gas hydrates as a possible new and global energy resource.
- Executive Summary—A 32-page summary of the two-volume report.
Natural Gas & Oil Program Research Portfolio Accomplishment Reports
The Office of Fossil Energy (FE)/National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL) is releasing a series of nine Research Portfolio Accomplishment Reports to provide a snapshot of accomplishments completed to-date for active and completed projects under three focus areas: Unconventional Oil & Gas Resources; Ultra-Deepwater; and Small Producers. The reports capture research conducted over the last ten years under FE’s Natural Gas and Oil Program. Each report discusses the research challenges, accomplishments, and lessons learned as well as providing a 1-2 page summary for each project with links to final reports for completed projects. New reports will be available roughly every two weeks.
Environmental Impacts of Unconventional Natural Gas Development and Production
This report summarizes the current state of published descriptions of the potential environmental impacts of unconventional natural gas upstream operations within the Lower 48 United States. As a survey, this report is by no means exhaustive. The goal of this report is to ensure that the predominant concerns about unconventional natural gas development, as covered by current literature, are identified and described. The sources cited are publicly available documents. Multiple publications on similar topics are compared and contrasted based only on their technical and methodological distinctions. No opinion or endorsement of these works is intended or implied.
- Fire in the Ice: A publication highlighting the National Methane Hydrate R&D Program
- E & P Focus: A publication highlighting NETL's oil and natural gas research
Program Fact Sheets:
- Oil Operators Gain Powerful, User-Friendly Enhanced Oil Recovery Planning Software - December 15, 2014
- NETL’s BLOSOM Works to Predict and Prevent Underwater Oil Spills - December 10, 2014
- New Field Laboratories and Related Research To Help Promote Environmentally Prudent Development of Unconventional Resources - November 6, 2014
- New Project To Improve Characterization of U.S. Gas Hydrate Resources - October 22, 2014
- NETL Releases Hydraulic Fracturing Study - September 15, 2013
- Unconventional Oil and Gas Projects Help Reduce Environmental Impact of Development - April 17, 2014
- EDX - Share and Share Alike - November 26, 2013
- Energy Department Expands Research into Methane Hydrates, a Vast, Untapped Potential Energy Resource of the U.S. - November 20, 2013
- Wellbore Cement: Research That Begins Where the Sidewalk Ends - October 29, 2013
- Project Aids Development of Legacy Oilfield on Alaska's North Slope - October 21, 2013
- Expedition Provides New Insight on Gas Hydrates in Gulf of Mexico - May 14, 2013
- Interagency Collaboration to Address Environmental Impacts of Shale Gas Drilling -April 23, 2013
- Hydraulic Fracturing Data Collection Tools Improve Environmental Reporting, Monitoring, Protection - April 18, 2013
- DOE Accord Seeks Accelerated Development of Alaska's Vast Unconventional Energy Resources - April 17, 2013
- Innovative Technology Improves Upgrading Process for Unconventional Oil Resources - April 09, 2013
- Data from Innovative Methane Hydrate Test on Alaska's North Slope Now Available on NETL Website - March 11, 2013
- Alaskan Ice Road Water Supplies Augmented by Snow Barriers - March 06, 2013
E&P and Methane Hydrate Bibliographies:
Oil and Natural Gas R&D Program Bibliography [PDF] The bibliography contains a listing of DOE/NETL-sponsored student researchers as well as reports and presentations resulting from Oil and Natural Gas R&D Program research projects.
Methane Hydrates Project Reports Bibliography[PDF] The bibliography lists publications resulting from DOE/NETL-sponsored methane hydrate R&D Program research projects.
Oil & Natural Gas Project Reports: //Archive 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008
Additional reports are available by using the searches provided at the top of this page.
- December, 2014 Final Project Report 10121-4405-02 Ultra-Deepwater Dry Tree System for Drilling and Production in the Gulf of Mexico [PDF-5.76MB]
- December, 2014 Final Project Report DE-FC26-01NT41332 Resource Characterization and Quantification of Natural Gas Hydrate and Associated Free-Gas Accumulations in the Prudhoe Bay – Kuparuk River Area on the North Slope of Alaska [PDF-30.1MB]
- December, 2014 Final Project Report 09121-3300-06 High Resolution 3D Laser Imaging for Inspection, Maintenance, Repair, and Operations [PDF-9.89MB]
- November, 2014 Final Project Report 10121-4903-02 Autonomous Underwater Inspection Using a 3D Laser [PDF-9.65MB]
- November, 2014 Final Project Report 10122-19 Lowering Drilling Cost, Improving Operational Safety, and Reducing Environmental Impact through Zonal Isolation Improvements for Horizontal Wells Drilled in the Marcellus Shale [PDF-1.86MB]
- September, 2014 Final Project Report 11123-15 Hybrid Rotor Compression for Multiphase and Liquids-Rich Wellhead Production Applications [PDF-1.48MB]
- September, 2014 Final Project Report FE0000847 Pilot Testing: Pretreatment Options to Allow Re-Use of Frac Flowback and Produced Brine for Gas Shale Resource Development [PDF-7.36MB]
- September, 2014 Final Project Report 09123-18 Characterization of Potential Sites for Near Miscible CO2 Applications to Improve Oil Recovery in Arbuckle Reservoirs [PDF-5.24MB]
- September, 2014 Final Project Report 10121-4502-01 Deepwater Reverse-Circulation Primary Cementing [PDF-2.87MB]
- August, 2014 Final Project Report 09122-29 Using Single‐Molecule Imaging System Combined with Nano‐fluidic Chip to Understand Fluid Flow in Tight and Shale Gas Formation [7.70MB]
- July, 2014 Final Project Report 08123-16 Development Strategies for Maximizing East Texas Oil Field Production [PDF-5.40MB]
- June, 2014 Final Project Report DE-FC26-01NT41330 Gulf of Mexico Gas Hydrates Joint Industry Project (JIP) Characterizing Natural Gas Hydrates in the Deep Water Gulf of Mexico - Applications for Safe Exploration and Production [PDF-643KB]
- June, 2014 Final Project Report DE-FC26-06NT43029 Carbon-Dioxide-Enhanced Oil Production from the Citronelle Oil Field in the Rodessa Formation, South Alabama [PDF-17.6MB]
- May, 2014 Final Project Report FE0005958 Improved Mobility Control in CO2 Enhanced Recovery Using SPI Gels [PDF-6.46MB]
- May, 2014 Final Project Report 07123-04 Contacting New Reservoir in Hunton Dolomite in Nearly Depleted Unger Field, Marion County, Kansas Using a Lateral with Azimuthal Gamma Ray Sensor and Drillpipe Conveyed Wireline Logs [PDF-8.11MB]
- April, 2014 Final Project Report 10122-07 NORM Mitigation and Clean Water Recovery from Marcellus Frac Water [PDF-5.37MB]
- March, 2014 Final Project Report 08122-53 Multiazimuth Seismic Diffraction Imaging for Fracture Characterization in Low-Permeability Gas Formations [PDF-4.72MB]
- March, 2014 Final Project Report 09123-11 Treatment and Beneficial Reuse of Produced Waters Using A Novel Pervaporation-Based Irrigation Technology [PDF-2.52MB]
- March, 2014 Final Project Report 09123-09 Enhanced Oil Recovery from the Bakken Shale using Surfactant Imbibition Coupled with Gravity Drainage [PDF-4.85MB]
- February, 2014 Final Project Report 09122-12 Integrated Experimental and Modeling Approaches to Studying the Fracture-Matrix Interaction in Gas Recovery from Barnett Shale [PDF-8.96MB]
- January, 2014 Final Project Report 07121-2001 Geophysical Modeling for Studying Acquisition and Processing Methods in the Deepwater Gulf of Mexico [PDF-10.5MB]
- January, 2014 Final Project Report 07123-01 Low Impact Testing of Oil Field Access Roads [PDF-2.27MB]
- January, 2014 Final Project Report DE-FE0010496 Application of Crunch-Flow Routines to Constrain Present and Past Carbon Fluxes at Gas-Hydrate Bearing Sites [PDF-10.5MB]
- March, 2011: A Comparative Study of the Mississippian Barnett Shale, Fort Worth Basin, and Devonian Marcellus Shale, Appalachian Basin [PDF-14MB]