CO2 Capture from Flue Gas Using Solid Molecular Basket Sorbents
Project No.: FE0000458
Pennsylvania State University (PSU) is developing a new generation of solid polymer-based sorbents for more efficient capture and separation of carbon dioxide (CO2) from flue gas of coal-fired power plants. The project is based on the concept of a "molecular basket" sorbent which was invented and developed at PSU. The idea of a molecular basket sorbent development is to load CO2-philic polymers (polymers that have a preference for CO2) onto high surface area nano-porous materials and use temperature swing for desorption. This process increases the number of approachable sites on/in the sorbent and enhances the sorption/desorption rate by increasing the gas-sorbent contacting interface and by improving mass transfer in the sorption/desorption process. The expected result of this project will be a concentrated CO2 stream that can be directed to CO2 sequestration or CO2 utilization.
Concept of Molecular Basket Sorbent for CO2 Capture
PSU is investigating the use of low-cost raw materials for the preparation of a new generation of molecular basket sorbents that maintain the merits of early-generation, high-cost molecular basket sorbents including high sorption capacity and selectivity, fast sorption-desorption rate, low energy for regeneration and good thermal and chemical stability. This effort may result in a promising type of solid sorbent material for the efficient and cost-effective capture of CO2.
Related Papers and Publications:
- CO2 Capture from Flue Gas Using Solid Molecular Basket Sorbents [PDF-3.6MB] - Final Report (Nov 2012)
- CO2 Capture from Flue Gas Using Solid Molecular Basket Sorbents Fact Sheet [PDF-476KB] (Oct 2011)
- CO2 Capture from Flue Gas Using Solid Molecular Basket Sorbents [PDF-2.25MB] (Aug 2011)
Presented by Xiaoxing Wang, Pennsylvania State University,2011 NETL CO2 Capture Technology Meeting, Pittsburgh, PA
- CO2 Capture from Flue Gas Using Solid Molecular Basket Sorbents. [PDF -2.0MB] (Sept 2010) Presented by Xiaoxing Wang, 2010 NETL CO2 Capture Technology Meeting, Pittsburgh, PA.
- XL Ma, XX Wang, CS Song, “Molecular Basket” Sorbents for CO2 Capture from Flue Gas. Presentation given at the 26th International Pittsburgh Coal Conference, Pittsburgh, PA, Sept 21-24, 2009.
- For further information on this project, contact the NETL Project Manager, Andrew O’Palko.